The historic vision of the Founders of the World Space Foundation in 1979 was to engage the public, as members of the Foundation, to participate directly in supporting research and development efforts to “open the Space Frontier.” The idea was to create a public expeditionary force, free of bureaucratic encumbrances to fund space research and technologies. The purpose evolved to include Science Education and the Literary Arts.
So how do we honor the Founders’ intent to engage the public to open the Space Frontier as World Spacefarers, ON THIS PLANET EARTH…as well as the Moon, Mars, Asteroids, and beyond, as we move into the 21st Century?
President’s Conceptual Reformulation:
We deepen our understanding in terms of World Space consciousness, to raise awareness of what it means to be World Spacefarers:
- To recognize and respond to our socioecological stewardship responsibilities;
- To concern ourselves with the consequences of our personal and collective actions;
- To base our actions on principles of freedom and mutual respect;
- To be and become researchers and practitioners applying scientific methods;
- To mentor where the need is greatest, as wandering scholars.
To discover, develop, and enact strategies to champion science creativity and talent.
Founders of the World Space Foundation (World Space) is a non-profit, non-governmental 501 (c)(3) corporation, chartered to energize and support science creativity and talent. World Space initiates, develops, and sustains innovative science research, education, communications, and youth job creation projects.
World Space supports projects that research, develop, validate, and apply effective science research, education, communications, and job creation approaches, especially to address the needs of urban youth in the context of national strategic concerns regarding:
- Global leadership in science and applied science fields
- Projected shortage of scientists, technologists, engineers, and science educators
- Success of academically diverse youth in lifelong science learning